The weather in Maryland can be very unpredictable, especially in the spring months. While air conditioning brings a rush of relief in the heat of summer, AC overuse can lead to a variety of health problems. While the regular and responsible use of air conditioning is perfectly fine, keep these concerns in mind when going through periods of AC overuse.
The Health Risks of AC Overuse
- Indoor Air Pollution: Since allergen levels inside can be much higher than levels outside, recirculating contaminated air inside of your home can lead to health problems. Indoor air pollution can also be a serious problem in homes where circulation is poor. Over time, you could experience allergy and flu-like symptoms including itchy eyes, nasal problems, headaches, dizziness and trouble breathing. In serious cases, AC overuse can lead to asthma attacks and pneumonia.
- Dry Skin and Nasal Passages: Spending hours in an air-conditioned place can suck the moisture out of your skin and your nasal passages. If you don’t use moisturizer or lotion, you can end up with skin that is flaky, itchy or irritated. If you run your air conditioner frequently in the summer and also use a dehumidifier, make sure that the dehumidifier isn’t taking too much humidity out of the air.
- Colds: Once your mucous membranes dry out from AC overuse, you will be much more vulnerable to colds and upper respiratory infections. If you have cold spots in the home that you aren’t using a ductless system to fix, you should consider also adding a humidifier for any part of the home you spend a great deal of time, like the bedroom.
- Heat Intolerance: Did you know that spending all of your time in an air-conditioned space can actually lead to heat intolerance when you finally leave your home? Many people who spend all day inside can’t handle the heat of the outdoors and experience headaches, difficulty breathing and dizziness.
- Ear Problems: If you have ear sensitivity and mold spores in your air conditioning system, the mold can accumulate in the folds of your ears and lead to drying and bleeding.
Efficient Air Conditioning from Ductless America
Ductless America sells, installs and maintains versatile Mitsubishi ductless systems designed to keep your family comfortable all year long. Our systems are flexible and able to meet the needs of numerous homes, businesses and buildings. If you are interested in learning more about our zoned comfort solutions, give us a call today at 800-815-4494.