Over the course of a year, heating and cooling bills can add up to over half of your total utility expenses. With summer only weeks away, now is the time to refresh your memory on how to make your air conditioner as energy efficient as possible.
No-Cost Ways to Make Your Air Conditioner More Energy Efficient
- Clean the area around your outdoor condenser unit. Outdoor units work the best when clear from any debris, dirt or yard clippings. If you need a heavy-duty seasonal cleaning, it is best to leave things to a professional.
- Use a vacuum to clean out indoor vents. Over time, a great deal of dirt, dust, allergens and debris can stick to vents and decrease the airflow from your HVAC system.
- Always keep things away from air conditioner vents. Drapes, furniture, toys and anything else should be at least a few feet away from vents to ensure optimum circulation.
- Increase the temperature on your thermostat by 3-8 degrees. If you can handle the heat, a small adjustment can shave major money off of your energy bills. If you have a programmable thermostat, set it to adjust throughout the day automatically. When you are sleeping or out of the house, the temperature can climb higher without bothering you. Subtle adjustments make a big difference.
- Keep all lamps and heat-generating appliances far away from the thermostat. These appliances will trick the thermostat into thinking the air in your home is much warmer than it actually is, causing the air conditioner to stay on for longer.
- Keep your curtains and blinds closed during the warmest parts of the day. Direct sun will come right through the windows of your home and warm your home, causing the air conditioner to kick on.
- Clear out the drain line next to your indoor cooling coil. This is typically in the basement near your furnace. Using a cup of chlorine bleach, place it down the air conditioning drain and then rinse with a gallon of water.
- Try not to use your clothes dryer or oven during the warmer parts of the day. Both of these appliances can cause temperatures to rise and your air conditioner to overcompensate.
Enjoy Energy Efficient Cooling Every Day with Ductless America
Ductless America sells, installs and maintains versatile Mitsubishi ductless systems designed to keep your family comfortable all year long. Our systems are versatile and able to meet the needs of homes, businesses and buildings. If you are interested in learning more about our zoned comfort solutions, give us a call today at 800-815-4494.